Friday, May 13, 2016

Books that I will most definitely, for sure, hopefully, maybe... read over the summer

I imagine that I won't have a lot of time for recreational reading this fall since I will be attending college, so, I will have to do a lot of reading over the summer! Here is my summer reading list:

The books on my list are from my own shelves in a desperate last-ditch effort to read as many of my unread books as possible before I leave for college.
1 & 2. The Story of the Amulet and The Magic World by E. Nesbit.
E. Nesbit is my favorite children's author. I own eight of her books, but have only read two of them. I'm reading The Story of the Treasure Seekers (Bastables #1) right now and hope to read these other two books in the next few weeks.
Probability of Abbey finishing both books by the end of summer: 65%

3. Murder by the Book by Julianna Deerling.
This is a mystery novel that I picked up at the Christian bookstore when we had extra money on a gift card. Christian novels can be hit and miss, but this one looks good. I believe it's set in the 1920s (or thereabouts), which is my favorite time period to read about.
Probability of Abbey finishing book by the end of summer: 80%

4. Fair Weather by Richard Peck.
Two of my favorites books EVER were written by Richard Peck (A Long Way From Chicago and A Year Down Yonder). This is another of his books that I picked up at Half Price Books. It's fairly (haha, see what I did there?) short and seems like a perfect summer book.
Probability of Abbey finishing book by the end of summer: 90%

5. The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson.
This is the final book in the Mistborn trilogy. I read the first two books but couldn't get into the third one. If I don't finish this one by the end of the summer, I will probably read the synopsis online and give the book to my friend who has been eyeballing it. (I see you there, TMG.)
Probability of Abbey finishing book by the end of summer: 10%

6. Anon, Sir, Anon by Rachel Heffington.
I loved Rachel Heffington's first book Fly Away Home (read my review here). Her second book is a mystery with a character who consistently quotes Shakespeare. That sounds like a perfect combination to me!
Probability of Abbey finishing book by the end of summer: 90%

7. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott.
Three of my friends have read this in the past two years and enjoyed it immensely. After hearing their glowing reviews, of course I want to read this book!
Probability of Abbey finishing book by the end of summer: 20%

8. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy.
I've been reading a lot of Russian history over the past few months. I figured that I would give Russian literature a try.
Probability of Abbey finishing book by the end of summer: 80%

9. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.
This book has been at the top of my to-read list since 2011. Oops. Maybe I'll finally get to it this summer.
Probability of Abbey finishing book by the end of summer: 30%

10. Into the Vast by DJ Edwardson.
I finally got a copy of Into the Vast! Hurray! I can't wait to start it!
Probability of Abbey finishing book by the end of summer: 90%

11 & 12. King's Warrior and Yorien's Hand by Jenelle Leanne Schmidt.
I'm so excited to read the next installment in Jenelle's Minstrel Song series! But, before I read Yorien's Hand, I figured that I should re-read King's Warrior so that the characters and plot are fresh in my mind.
Probability of Abbey finishing both books by the end of summer: 50%

13. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien.
After I finish The Silmarillion, I want to continue in Middle Earth. I want to read The Hobbit over the summer so that I can bring The Lord of the Rings to school with me as my before-bed read.
Probability of Abbey finishing book by the end of the summer: 95%

14. Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brien.
I've been meaning to read Master and Commander since I saw the movie a few years ago. Since this is a nautical adventure, I feel like I need to read it by the sea. Because of this, I might take it camping with me since we camp near the water.
Probability of Abbey finishing book by the end of summer: 40%

Now, it is entirely possible that I won't read any of these books. I might go to the library and come out with a stack of books. I might decide that none of the books on my list fit my mood and end up reading The Doll People again. My goal is to read as many of the books on my list, though! I'll keep you updated.
What's on your summer reading list?

6 comments:

  1. Oooh, what a lovely stack of books! A lot of these are on my favorites or need to read lists, as well! (But, ah, the siren-call of the library.... is indeed hard to resist!)

    (By the by, Yorien's Hand can stand on its own pretty well... I think you can read it without needing too much of a refresher (I had a couple ARC readers for that one who hadn't read either of the others, and they didn't feel lost)... you know... if you just want to get to the new stuff) :)

    I just finished the last book on my stack and am about to dive into your story!!!! I'm so excited!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip about Yorien's Hand! Maybe I'll do that... I definitely want to read it before the end of the year.
      Ooo, cool! I hope you enjoy it :)

      Delete
  2. I really like how you put in your estimate as to the probability of reading the different books. That's a very clever innovation to a reading list.

    Thank you so much for picking up a copy of Into the Vast. Seeing it on your list made my day! I hope you enjoy it.

    Have a wonderful summer of reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read and enjoyed Little Women in my early teens - until half way through. Then I got bored. So a number of years ago I thought I'd give it another try. I enjoyed it - until the same spot and then got bored. Strange. I also read Little Men back in the day. It was ok. Jane Eyre is wonderful. Anna Karenina was ok. I prefer Dostoevsky to Tolstoy though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How weird! I wonder if I'll be able to spot that point when I read it. Dostoevsky is on my "to-read" list, too, though not for this summer. I asked my pastor (who is very well-read in the classics) for a Russian literature suggestion and he said Anna Karenina. I found a cheap copy at the book store so I decided to give it a shot!

      Delete