Saturday, July 15, 2017

21

Today, I am 21.

 to


I was going to write a post about what I've learned over the past twenty-one years and intersperse pictures of me throughout, but when I looked at old pictures of my family and I, I started to see a pattern, so I thought I'd talk about that instead.

Ever since I was a baby, I have been inundated with books.


Every week, my mom and I would go to the library and take out fifty picture books (the library's limit) and measure the length of the receipt against my height.

Funny enough, this is the bookshelf that I brought with me to college!
Every night for more years than I can remember, my dad would read to me before bed.


As a result, I would read to my toys.


And I would read by myself.


And I would read with friends.


When my friends and I have a free afternoon, it is usually spent in a bookstore.



My family has given me a legacy of books that I hope to pass on to any children I may have in the future.


Even more importantly, my family has given me a legacy of faith in God that I know will accompany me through life.


I am very thankful that God placed me into the family that he did!

12 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ABBEY!!!! :D

    Those are some adorable baby pics! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Abbey!!! Love the memory lane :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Becca! It's so much fun to look through old family pictures.

      Delete
  3. Aww, happy belated birthday, Abbey!!!! :D I hope you had a good one and that your coming year will be fantastic! :) What awesome pictures and what an awesomely book-filled life -- thanks for sharing! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this post!! I liked how you talked about being a book-lover your whole life. I grew up loving books and reading also. My dad tells me that he would be trying to rest after working swingshift and I would keep running down the hall to get him more books to read to me when I was little. :) The pics are adorable! I should try and find pictures of me reading through the years...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee, that's so cute! Your poor dad XD. Ooo, you should do that! I'd love to see them.

      Delete
  5. Lovely post and wonderful pictures. Is that David I see in two of the pictures?? The 4th picture of your Dad reading to you looks like he has fallen asleep :). Well, you certainly have the Hoornenborg gene... Gramma used to read by the light of the moon in her bedroom til late at night, and she would sneak up in the day, ostensibly to clean, but actually to read. She would shuffle her feet as she read so her mom would think she was cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the boys is Luke, and the other is my cousin Nathan from the other side of the family. :) Haha, I never knew that about Gramma! That's such a great story!! It's so great that a love of reading and a love of God has passed down through the generations.

      Delete