Thursday, June 15, 2017

Beautiful People: June 2017 // Draegond

~Beautiful People is a monthly linkup for writers hosted by Cait at Paper Fury and Sky at Further Up and Further In.~


Meet Draegond. He's married to Lynnie, who featured in last month's Beautiful People post! He'd like to answer this month's questions himself, so I shall turn The Blog over to him.

1. What's your favourite place you've ever visited?
I love to travel, though I haven't done as much of it as I would like. Before defecting from King John's guard, I had never traveled outside of Kasteel City. After I defected, however, I went straight to the mountains and crossed over to the desert beyond. It was so beautiful! And so sparse. I loved it. I would love to go back someday with proper supplies. Last time, I didn't bring enough water and passed out from dehydration and heat exhaustion. Finn's mentor found me and they were able to bring me back to health.

2. What's one mistake you made that you learned from?
Well, I definitely learned not to enter a desert without proper supplies! Ha ha ha. Another mistake that I made was returning to Amery after I defected. If you are going to defect, don't come back to the country that you defected from. Similarly, if you are going to do something that goes against order (like spy on your superiors, for instance...) make sure that you are not caught. You may not get a chance to learn from your mistake if you are caught! I was given the death sentence for defecting from King John's guard, but he had mercy on me and only demoted me. 

3. What was your favourite subject in school? Or favourite thing to learn about?
Much of my schooling prepared me for entering the king's guard, which I hated. It was all fighting and marching and riding and more fighting. Students preparing for the king's guard do get to take two classes of their own choosing, though (they're for if you are discharged from the king's guard, you know another trade). I chose art and craftsmanship. I enjoyed those two classes the best out of all the ones that I had to take. 

4. What's your favourite flower/growing thing?
I like small, round cacti. There were a lot of those in the desert. They have beautiful flowers. I also like those tiny, little daisies that grow in fields. 

5. Have you ever made someone cry? What happened?
I'm ashamed of this... I made my wife cry once. She still worked at the tavern, then. I had had a long day of work, and she had had a long day of work. At home, we got into a silly argument about how often the floor should be swept. I snapped at her. Then, she cried. That's another mistake that I learned from: even if you've had a long day, you can still act civil to your wife. 

6. Would you consider yourself a reliable or unreliable narrator?
I'm always reliable to those who deserve it. (This does not include King John, but don't tell him I said so, or he might actually have me killed this time.)

7. What do you dream about at night?
Sometimes I dream about the desert. Sometimes I dream about Lynnie and I picnicking in the fields around Kasteel City. Sometimes I dream about dark forests and the dark things that they contain. I don't often remember my dreams, but when I do—whether they take place in the desert or the fields or the forest—they always have dragons in them.

8. You've gone out for a "special meal." What would you eat?
Hmm... I do like a good leg of lamb when I can get it. Garnished with potatoes and potatoes. Mmmm.

9. What's at least one thing you want to do before you die?
I want to return to the desert and see dragons. That's why I went there in the first place, but I never saw dragons. 

10. Do you have any distinguishing or unique talents?
I like to fancy myself a good artist. That's not too unique, but it's my only hobby (beside adventuring, that is). I suppose I have the unique talent of looking intimidating (when, according to my friends, I'm really just a harmless turtle. I don't like going too fast, and I like sitting in the sun). 

Thanks for letting me answer these questions. Life as a dungeon guard is pretty boring when you only have one person to guard.

(I heard that!)

Finn! Quiet! This is my interview. 
Ignore him. He's just salty because he's been stuck in this dungeon for five years. He gets pretty bored, too. I should go back to him. Thank you again. 

2 comments:

  1. He sounds so interesting!! I'm super curious about this story now... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's one of my favorites, even if he's not the most major of characters. I'm glad you found him interesting!

      Delete